Updated March 17, 2020
Dear Soapbox Members —
Like many of you, we at The Soapbox have been monitoring our changing public health landscape over the past week. We are working to maintain services for members as much as possible, while caring for our community by suspending public programming for the present time. Please note that these details may be updated at any time if public health directives change. Please monitor your email before coming into the studio.
- Keyholder & Private Studio Member access remains unchanged.
- Open Hours are suspended as of March 16, per City of Philadelphia directions to suspend non-essential business activity for the coming two weeks. Open Hours members who rely on studio access for their livelihood are encouraged to reach out about short term Keyholder access options.
- We will resume Open Hours access for Members as soon as is feasible. We are actively monitoring guidance from local, state, and federal offices.
- All public events and access is cancelled through April 12. We ask you to please join us in reducing Soapbox traffic by refraining from holding informal groups (crit groups, drawing clubs, etc.) at The Soapbox during this time.
- Members using the studio are collectively responsible for cleaning and disinfecting in the studio. Please feel free to join us in wiping down frequently touched surfaces with the bleach solution at the sink. Please note that Fellows are not currently expected on site to take care of cleaning. Wash your hands frequently, cough or sneeze into a tissue or your elbow, and don’t come to the studio if you aren’t feeling well. Please maintain safe and friendly distancing from your fellow members.
- Studio maintenance for Keyholders: Suspension of open hours means a suspension of trash removal and supply inventory. (1) Please email us about any supplies that are getting low; (2) Please do not leave food waste in the studio; (3) If trash and recycling are getting full, please pitch in and take out the trash! Trash and recycling must be bagged and can be added to the bins in the Children’s Community School yard. Please be sure to close all bin lids and gates. Additional trash bags (including blue for recycling) can be found in the cupboard to the right of the utility sink. Thank you!
A reminder for shared studio members: please remember that you can pause your monthly Keyholder Only or Open Hours Membership in the event that you are unable to come in over the coming weeks due to isolation, illness, social distancing measures, or loss of income. The Soapbox is also experiencing a loss of income at this time, so if you are able to continue supporting us with your membership during this time, we ask you to consider doing so. Punch card members, we will extend your punch card expiration date upon request.
We understand that many of you may be suffering a loss of income at this time. If you need studio access to support your livelihood but are having trouble making payments at this time, please be in touch with us about the possibility of deferring payment. Please also refer to COVID-19 & Freelance Artists: https://covid19freelanceartistresource.wordpress.com/ and https://creative-capital.org/2020/03/13/list-of-arts-resources-during-the-covid-19-outbreak/.
Please use our Facebook group as a way to connect, as well as our Member Work wall in the studio: https://www.facebook.com/groups/458806864880386/
In the meanwhile, we wish each of you a healthy and safe spring.
Mary & the organizing team at The Soapbox