Soapbox members enjoy access to the studio and equipment, discounts on workshops, and the option to join in special opportunities like Philadelphia Open Studio Tours, sales of artwork, and more. Our shared studio includes facilities for screenprinting, letterpress, basic binding, papermaking, and etching press for relief printing. We have a limited number of private studio spaces. Email us to join our private studio waiting list.
For June and July 2021 we continue to operate on a Keyholder model only. However, we are accepting Open Hours applications as we anticipate restarting Open Hours Memberships in August or September.
Keyholders must demonstrate experience in the equipment they plan to use and be able to work comfortably and competently in an unmonitored studio.
How do I join?
- Makers with Experience: Read about keyholder membership & submit your keyholder application below. We will review your application and respond within 2 weeks. Upon acceptance, we will reach out to schedule an orientation and a skills test.
- About New Member Orientations:
- Typically we rely on in-studio workshops for hands on orientation in the studio areas you plan to use. These workshops are paid, but we comp your first month’s membership fee.
- In pandemic times we will schedule a call to review our Membership Agreement and Pandemic Studio Protocol. We will then set up an in-person introduction to the studio, including in-depth Soapbox procedures in your desired area. Orientation to your first studio area will be complimentary. Additional studio orientations (e.g. I’ve been oriented to letterpress but want to start screenprinting as well) may require a fee depending on your membership rate and membership duration.
- Beginners: Beginners must attend a series of in-person workshops to complete your orientation and training. We anticipate restarting these workshops in October. More information.
Keyholder Members: $100/month
Keyholder members enjoy independent access to the studio from 8 am to 10 pm daily, including papermaking. Keyholder members also enjoy discounts on Soapbox workshops. Keyholder membership requires an application demonstrating experience in the desired studio area, a one-month refundable deposit, and a 3 month minimum commitment, as well as an orientation to each studio area to be used. Includes one storage space (choice of screen storage, flat file drawer, or locker), with additional storage available at $5/month.
Open Hours Member: $35/month or $50/4 visits
Restarting this Fall: Enjoy access to our studio during our regular twice-a-week Open Hours. Open Hours are monitored – please ask questions! – but monitors do not provide instruction. (That’s what our workshops are for!) Open Hours membership requires an application demonstrating experience in the desired studio area, as well as an orientation to each studio area to be used. Includes one storage space (choice of screen storage, flat file drawer, or locker), with additional storage available at $5/month. Limited experience? Just see our Information for Beginners!
Soapbox Fellows help keep The Soapbox running smoothly – typically hosting Open Hours and assisting with other events and needs of the organization. In exchange, Fellows enjoy keyholder access to the studio, while also building skills in non-profit arts management. Soapbox Fellows are required to volunteer a minimum of five hours/week and to make a six-month commitment. Most years, applications are reviewed in March and September for any openings (April – September or October – March commitments). Solid skills in screenprinting or letterpress printing are a must. In 2021, we will review applications in August for a September 1 start date.
Supporter Member: sliding scale
This membership allows you to support The Soapbox’s work through a supporting membership. You’ll enjoy the standard member discount on workshops. Supporting members make a monthly gift.
To learn more about membership or anything else, feel free to contact us.
*Please note that our Hollander beater papermaking equipment is ineligible for Open Hours use due to noise levels and time intensiveness.